Assistant Digital Editor
Up to £29k pa, depending on experience
Padpilot has driven a paradigm shift in the quality of educational materials for aspiring professional pilots since its launch in 2011. Our books are used throughout the world by people studying for a career in aviation. As part of our continuing expansion programme, we’re looking for an assistant digital editor to assume responsibility for enhancing the standard of our publications across multiple digital publication channels.
We’re looking for an intelligent, resourceful, proactive, enthusiastic person with a very high level of proficiency in written English. You must excel at, and enjoy, working independently and on your own initiative to solve issues before they become problems. You will be comfortable working under pressure and will be able successfully to balance the conflicting demands of multiple simultaneous challenges with an unfailing attention to detail.
The editorial team works closely with the design, marketing, and operations teams, so the ability to work collaboratively and build strong colleague relationships is a must.
As Assistant Digital Editor you will report directly to the Chief Technical Editor. Your primary duties are to:
- Maintain and improve the quality and consistency of our content across a wide range of digital channels including books, CBT, classroom teaching slides and question databases using our bespoke CMS system
- Prepare, content, metadata and materials for publication and publish books via our digital publishing platform
- Manage the relationship with our publishing software suppliers to ensure the speedy elimination of bugs and rapid development of new publishing capabilities
- Commission new content, when appropriate, from technical authors
- Edit content for style, grammar, ease of reading and teaching flow
- Keep abreast of developments and changes in the academic syllabi we follow
- Keep abreast of developments in educational best practices
- Contribute to research and development of new learning systems and teaching techniques
Essential Skills and Attributes
- Have an exceptionally strong work ethic with a willingness to learn and adapt
- Have an exceptionally high standard of fluency and competence in spoken and written English
- Be highly computer-literate
- Possess a high level of self-discipline, attention to detail, thoroughness, and perfectionism
- Have a strong, instinctive passion for education
- Be a self-motivator, able to work to the highest standards without supervision
- Be able to think strategically about digital content and digital distribution methods
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships
- Be able to work to deadlines
- Have the flexibility and adaptability to fit into and work successfully with a small team
The successful candidate will:
- Have a background in writing, editing, or publishing
- Have experience in editing complex material
- Be confident working with content in different formats and for different platforms/channels
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Possess strong proofing/ subbing skills
- Naturally possess an unflagging attention to detail
- Be highly organised and able to prioritise evolving business needs
- Be completely competent in using the MS Office suite, including the ability to format documents entirely by paragraph styling.
- Be a clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
- Be instinctively analytical and process driven
- Have great critical thinking, problem-solving and time management skills
- Possess unquestionable business ethics and integrity
Desirable Skills and Attributes
- Familiarity and competence with Adobe products, particularly InDesign
- Familiarity with, or experience within, the aviation training industry
- Experience in next-generation educational design techniques, including gamification
Please apply directly to Katharine Clayton (email@example.com) enclosing a comprehensive CV and a 250-word statement/covering letter explaining why you are best suited for the position. Please only use ‘ADE Application’ as the subject heading of your email.
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
Founded in 2011, we create intelligent, interactive resources for ATOs and student pilots that offer a bespoke solution to raising outcomes and results during the ground school phase of pilot training.